Sajed Ahammad Sami
- Enrolled in Appellate Division of the Supreme Court of Bangladesh, 2018
- Enrolled in High Court Division of the Supreme Court of Bangladesh, 2009
- Called to the New York State Bar, USA in 2008
- Called to the Bangladesh Bar Council in 2005
- Called to the Bar of England & Wales in 2004
- May 2007:Master of Laws (Distinction)Georgetown University Law Centre, USA
- October 2004:Bar ocational Course (Very Competent)Northumbria University, United Kingdom
- July 2004: Post Graduate Diploma in Law Northumbria University, United Kingdom
- July 2003: LL.B. (Hons) (Higher Second Class) Northumbria University, United Kingdom
- August 2001:Diploma in Law (Credit)University of London, United Kingdom
- February, 2019 to present Independent Director, Power Grid Company of Bangladesh Ltd.
- May 2012 to present: Partner, Ahammad, Jonaed & Partners
- March 2010 to April 2012:Partner, Ahammad, Ahammad & Associates
- August 2008 to February 2010:Associate, A Hossain & Associates, Law Offices, Dhaka, Bangladesh
- May–June 2008:Interning Clerk, ICC Secretariat of International Court of Arbitration, Paris, France
- January–April 2008: International Law Scholar, Crowell and Moring LLP, IDR Group, Washington, DC, USA
- October–December 2007: Consultant, King and Spalding LLP, Litigation Practice Group, Washington, DC, USA
- June 2005–July 2006: Junior Associate, Michael Purdon Solicitors, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
- May 2005: Caseworker (pro-bono), Legal Services Commission, Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK
- July–August 2003:Pupil, Chambers of Mr. Abdul Malek, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Sajed is one of most aspiring and well-regarded young lawyers of Bangladesh having broad international experience in both contentious and non-contentious matters. Coming from a family rich in legal heritage, Sajed is a third-generation lawyer, having his father Mr. Justice A F M Ali Asgar, a Justice of the Supreme Court of Bangladesh, as his idol. Sajed is qualified and trained in the US, the UK and Bangladesh, and has practiced law in multiple jurisdictions.
He moved to Bangladesh in 2008 after completing his clerkship at the ICC’s International Court of Arbitration in Paris, France a highly coveted and prestigious role and was trained under the exceptional supervision of renowned Senior Advocate and only Queen’s Counsel (QC) of Bangladeshi origin, Mr. Ajmalul Hossain. He gained considerable experience in dealing with complex commercial and financial transactions, corporate restructuring, admiralty and shipping disputes, and regulatory matters, both at national and international levels.
Prior to moving to Bangladesh, Sajed has had some excellent international arbitration experience obtained in Washington DC. He has been involved in high profile cases, providing legal advice in both a strategic and analytic capacity. He was hand-picked for a particular role by his law professor, Co-chair of the Arbitration Group at Crowell and Moring LLP. He was also a member of Litigation Practice Group of King & Spalding LLP’s Washington, DC Office.
Sajed writes for Oxford Press and has contributed in the publication of a Practitioners’ Guidebook on International Arbitration. He has also carried out research project funded by International Finance Corporation (IFC) and DFID where he has explored the impact of international arbitration proceedings on the investment climate of Bangladesh.
Besides his legal practice, for his exceptional spectrum of experience in fields of corporate governance and financial structuring, the Government of Bangladesh appointed him as an independent director to the board of directors of Power Grid Company of Bangladesh Ltd. (“PGCB”), a state owned and the sole power transmission company in Bangladesh. Sajed is also shareholder-director of two leading 100% export-oriented garments manufacturing company in Bangladesh.
- Currently advising one of the largest foreign garments manufacturing company with tendering, negotiation and documentation of deploying a foreign (Chinese) construction firm to construct six industrial buildings of 107,000 sqm each in Kholapara, Kaliganj, Gazipur, Bangladesh.
- Successfully negotiated and executed a Joint Venture Agreement between one of the largest conglomerates in Bangladesh and renowned tyre manufacturer of India for the establishment of US$ 35 million production facility in Bangladesh.
- Advising on matters with structuring, financing/fund-raising and representing number of startups in various sectors in Bangladesh including the leading ride hailing, online marketplace and grocery delivery service providing companies in the thriving new tech sector of Bangladesh.
- Advising a merger and restructuring of 3 (three) major RMG manufacturing companies with 100% foreign shareholding and their amalgamation of assets, retrenchment of workforce and asset relocation where cumulative investment is valued at US$ 90 million.
- As the anchor lawyer advising on and assisting with corporate, regulatory and structuring of a US$ 130 million-dollar 100% investment project in the textile industry being established in Bangladesh.
- Advising one of the leading conglomerates of the country in drawing up their employment contracts and employee handbook based on HR Policy reflecting the local legal requirements as well as securing long term employee retention.
- Represented and advised a local conglomerate in its tendering, negotiation and documentation of a large-scale commercial construction (estimated at US$ 35 million) to be undertaken by multiple foreign firms on a turnkey basis in Bangladesh.
- Presently advising a global leader in undergarments manufacturer based in the USA with its US$ 12 million joint venture with one of the leading textile manufacturers of Bangladesh for setting up a manufacturing plant in Chittagong EPZ.
- One of the leading members of the team representing a local investor in subscribing US$20 million senior bonds issued by a leading telecom company of Bangladesh.
- Currently advising one of the largest textile manufacturing group of companies with negotiation and documentation of deploying a local construction firm to design and construct a 14 storied commercial building in Dhaka, Bangladesh to be used as its corporate head office.
- Advised one of the largest Bangladeshi corporate investor in a subscription of BDT 750 million amortizing Senior Bond to be issued by a leading local enterprise.
- Lead lawyer for a local conglomerate with restructuring its corporate structure and raising capital of US$15 million through issuance of premium shares to one of the leading financial investors in the world.
- One of the leading members of the team representing the seller of shares of a telecom company in the largest share acquisition in the history of Bangladesh, worth US$350 million.
- Recently advised and acted as local legal counsel for HDFC Hong Kong Branch regarding a foreign loan facility of US$ 50 (fifty) million to a local telecom operator in Bangladesh
- Advising and representing two foreign joint venture companies in Bangladesh obtaining over US$ 23 million in foreign debt financing.
- Represented a design and construction firm with its bid to enter into a consortium agreement with multiple construction and architecture firm to negotiate an agreement with an international hotel for landscaping of its hotel operating in Bangladesh.
- Advised and assisted one of the leading public limited companies in Bangladesh in its USD 17 million acquisition of 100% shareholding of another company.
- Advised and assisted one of the largest conglomerates of Bangladesh on a joint venture to be formed with one of the largest textile producers of Malaysia on establishing a 100% export oriented backward linkage textile industry.
- Recently advised and represented a local resort company in Bangladesh to negotiate, draft and finalize multiple contracts with foreign firms in relation to design, construction supervision and project management of developing a unique eco resort in Bangladesh.
- Recently advised on a multiparty joint venture between a Bangladeshi, Chinese and US entities with establishing a Knitting and Woven industry in Export Processing Zones of Bangladesh with an estimated investment of USD 4 million.
- Advised on structuring, establishing, regulatory and operational issues of a large scale resort being developed under a joint venture between US and Bangladeshi investors with an estimated investment of USD 3 million.
- Advised tripartite joint venture between a Chinese, US and Bangladeshi entity in establishing an accessories plant in Bangladesh with a proposed investment of USD 3.5 million.
- Key researcher of an IFC Commissioned research project on Investment Climate reviewing the impact of international arbitration on promoting the investment climate in Bangladesh.
- Member of the team representing a Cypriot company in a US$10 billion investment arbitration claim against Turkey under the Energy Charter Treaty and ICSID Convention.
- Member of the team representing trustees of an energy trust in a US$60 million dispute concerning termination of sales purchase contract in a domestic arbitration case under the auspices of JAMS.
- Working as a member of the team representing a leading U.S. energy company in investment arbitration under the ICSID Convention involving a US$150-million natural gas pipeline project.
- Member of the team representing a leading Canadian energy company in defending a US$100 million claim by the Government of Bangladesh relating to concerning blowouts of a gas field.
- Admiralty, Judicial Review and Civil Litigation
- Financial Practice (Investment Structuring and Documentation)
- Corporate Governance and Regulatory Compliance
- International Trade & Contract Enforcement
- Arbitration law and practice
- Commercial & Transactional law
- Dhaka District Court
- Appellate Division of the Supreme Court of Bangladesh
- High Court Division of the Supreme Court of Bangladesh
- State Courts of New York, USA
- Local and International Arbitration Panels
- Bar of England & Wales
- Honourable Society of Lincoln’s Inn
- New York State Bar Association
- International Section of American Bar Association
- Dhaka Bar Association, Bangladesh
- Bangladesh Bar Council
- Young International Arbitration Group (London Centre for International Arbitration)
- Young and International (International Centre for Dispute Resolution)
- Contributor, Oxford University Press
- Corporate governance, regulatory compliance, investment management, mergers and acquisitions
- Litigation, arbitration and alternative dispute resolution
- Project Finance, Construction and commercial negotiation
- Cross border disputes and transactions
- United States
- European Union